Pharmacy Training and Development Project,
Department of Pharmacy, University of Limpopo, Medunsa
PDF: Information sheet
Dispensing licences are required since May 2004 for doctors and nurses who dispense medicines.
This distance education, self-learning package is approved by the SA Pharmacy Council.
Registration with a Health Council
The course package consists of a training manual with activities to be completed in participants' own time. One practical session is scheduled for groups of participants at a central or local venue. Assessment takes place after the practical tuition session. .
The manual includes additional sections for relevant legislation and standards as well as practical information and examples.
- Evaluate a prescription and access the patient profile/record
- Dispense the prescription
- Hand medicine to patients and give appropriate advice and warnings
- Maintain professional dispensing records
- Manage the procurement and storage of medicines
Photograph: Heleen Steynberg, 2003
Dept. of Pharmacy, University of
Limpopo, Medunsa Campus
PO Box 218, Medunsa 0204, South Africa
Lebogang Kgatuke, Tel. (012) 521 4240
Luisa Thathane, Tel (012) 521 4743
Fax: (012) 521 3378