Areas of Study
Director: Professor Leseilane Mampuru
The School of Molecular and Life Sciences is pleased that you consider joining the most exciting academic programmes in the Life Sciences.
The school boasts some of the most rigorous, competitive and sought-after academic programmes in the sector, including Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Botany, Microbiology, Physiology, and Zoology. These programmes are presented within the Departments of Biodiversity; Biochemistry, Microbiology and Biotechnology; and Physiology and Environmental Health.
Driven by change and relevance, the school understands Life Sciences as not only a discipline that is set in motion by global changes and challenges but also as a solutions machine to local socio-economic problems. Our core function and continued existence are, therefore, implanted in the communities we serve.
As a result, through a combination of cutting-edge research and academic excellence with local and global applicability, we provide our students with the knowledge and tools needed to excel in the various fields in the Life Sciences today – and the ability to create and provide the highly-trained and competent human capital of tomorrow.
Indeed, the school is home to a number of Units or Centres of Excellence, including the DST/NRF SARChI Chair in Ecosystem Health, Biotechnology Unit, Larry Leach Herbarium, Biodiversity Museum, and Science Education Centre. These units serve as resource vehicles to facilitate the three academic functions of the school, namely Teaching and Learning, Research and Innovation, and Community Engagement.
Certainly, our strategic geographical position not only places us in the forefront of providing the much-needed tertiary education training for the previously marginalised South African communities, but also provides access to a large contingent of students from the Southern African Development Community (SADC) region.
Thus, if you are looking for a Life Sciences programme that will advance your career and growth as a Life Scientist, we invite you to join us in this pursuit for self-understanding, learning, and discovery which will undoubtedly increase your analytical, synthesis and creative skills, and leadership capacity.
The School of Molecular and Life Sciences strives to be an internationally recognised afro-centric centre of excellence in biotechnology, environmental influences on biota, and health-related disciplines.
The School of Molecular and Life Sciences provides an opportunity for students to obtain quality and marketable education by technological and scientific innovation through excellence in teaching, problem-solving, integrated research and community responsive service provision.
- Is committed to the development of an environment conducive to studying and promotes lifelong learning, teaching, and research;
- Strives towards the fulfilment of its goals in a professional manner by promoting good communication and high standard of workmanship between staff and students;
- Believes in networking and synergetic collaboration to promote its research at local, national, regional and international levels;
- Is recognised for its high academic standards, both in teaching and research;
- Is devoted to improving the quality of life and fostering stronger, successful and self-sustaining communities; and
- Will continue to maintain academic excellence to ensure the offering of market-relevant programmes and the production of highly sought-after graduates.
Director: Prof Leseilane Mampuru
Tel: (+27)15268 4891
Senior Secretary: George Lebepe
Tel: (+27)15268 4892