UL Historical Background
The University of Limpopo is the result of a merger between the
former Medical University of Southern Africa and the University of the North,
which merger occurred on 01 January 2005.
The Medical University of Southern Africa (MEDUNSA) was established in 1976 to
provide tertiary education and training facilities to the educationally
disadvantaged in the fields of Medicine, Allied Health and Nursing Sciences, and
Dentistry intended to meet the health needs of the country.
The Campus is situated to the north-west of Pretoria. Its grounds extend over
some 350 ha adjoining the Ga-Rankuwa Township and are easily accessible by roads
and rail. Regular bus and taxi services operate between Pretoria and Dr George
Mukhari Hospital as well as between Mabopane and Medunsa.
The extension of University Education Act of 1959 made provision for the
establishment of racially exclusive universities for black South Africans. Under
the provisions of the Act, the University College of the North was established
about thirty kilometres from the Limpopo Province town of Polokwane on 01 August
1959. The College was placed under the academic trusteeship of the University of
South Africa. This formative relationship was maintained until the South African
Parliament promulgated the University of the North Act (Act No. 47 of 1969) thus
bringing to an end the College status as of 01 January 1970.
The University nestles in the foothills of the Hwiti (Wolkberg range) in
Mankweng, midway between Polokwane and the spectacular splendour of