Teaching and Learning Methodology
Possible Career Opportunities
Sustainable Sanitation Management
Research Focus Areas
Message from Head of Department: Mrs Izelque Botha
A warm welcome to the Department of Geography and Environmental Studies! We are delighted to provide a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes in the fields of geography and environmental studies.
- Bachelor of Science in Environmental and Resource Studies 4 Year Degree
- Bachelor of Science Honours: Geography Stream
- Master of Science: Geography Stream
- Doctor of Philosophy: Geography Stream
The Department of Geography and Environmental Studies is actively engaged in all three spheres of higher education: Teaching and Learning, Research, and Community Engagement. Our programmes offer students multi- and interdisciplinary exposure, preparing them for a wide range of careers in fields such as environmental management, GIS and remote sensing; education from primary to tertiary level; consulting; entrepreneurship; agriculture; project management; community engagement and upliftment; and research.
The modules offered in our Department are designed to provide students with relevant knowledge and skills for diverse career paths, encompassing both practical and theoretical aspects. Graduates from the four-year Bachelor of Science in Environmental and Resource Studies programme can also pursue postgraduate studies in masters or doctoral degrees across various research areas.
To support our programmes, we have state-of-the-art computer laboratories on campus where students can engage with software relevant to their development. These facilities are accessible to both undergraduate and postgraduate students. Additionally, students receive support for research activities, including fieldwork for both physical and human geography research. The Department maintains active collaborative research and training initiatives with the Agriculture Research Council, the Water Research Council, government departments, other universities, institutes, and international partners. This collaboration provides our students with access to a wide array of expertise and facilities.
Research within the Department focuses on staff development and postgraduate training, covering various aspects related to human and physical geography. Some research areas include climate change, behavioural geography, social geography, tourism, GIS and Remote Sensing applications, atmospheric sciences, and engaged scholarship. Our research initiatives aim to integrate various stakeholders, including rural communities.
If you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are eager to engage with you and provide any additional details you may need.
Mrs Izelque Botha Profile
To produce capable environmental practitioners for solving environmental problems especially in sub-Saharan Africa.
To train competent and functional geographic and environmental professionals for sub-Saharan Africa through teaching, research and community engagement.
The Department of Geography and Environmental Studies
- Responsibility and Accountability – We own up to our shortcomings/mistakes and we take responsibility for our actions. We deliver on our promises.
- Integrity – We endeavour to do the right things regardless of consequences. We practice fairness, honesty and openness.
- Respect – We treat people with respect and dignity and we accept everybody for who they are.
- Excellence and innovation – We value excellence and innovation in all that we do. We therefore strive to offer quality academic programs that foster intellectual inquiry and encourage creativity.
- Teamwork – We are committed to achieve common goals through collaboration, listening to each other and sharing information.
- Student success - We always strive to do what is best for our students, thereby ensuring success to every student that is committed to learning.