A wide range of employment opportunities are available to medical biological scientists. These include, but not limited to:
- Lecturer at Universities.
- Researcher in research institutions such as Medical Research Council (MRC), Human Science Research Council (HSRC) etc.
- Research Administrator at National and Provincial Departments of Health
- Medical Scientist at Public Laboratories, e.g. NHLS, CSIR.
- Clinical Research associate at Pharmaceutical laboratories (research).
- Sales representative for pharmaceutical and Medical laboratory supplies companies
- Medical scientist in private diagnostic laboratories